Top 10 Foods for better eyes
To keep your eyes looking their best, you want to keep them in great health. Healthy eyes not only feel better, they look younger. Wearing good sunglasses and getting regular checkups from your eye doctor are important ways keep them in top shape. But you can also take care of your eyes with delicious food.
How Food Can Help Your Eyes
Giving your eyes the right vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants can have long-lasting health benefits for them and your whole body. From improving vision to reducing inflammation to improving dry eyes.
10 Foods for Healthy Eyes
- Eggs. This protein-rich food provides two powerhouse antioxidants that are great for eyes, lutein, and zeaxanthin.
- Spinach and Kale. These antioxidants block blue light, which can cause damage to the retina.
- Strawberries. Add these sweet treats for a good dose of vitamin C. This vitamin is an antioxidant that protects blood vessels and may lower the risk of cataracts.
- Seeds and Nuts. They're not only delicious, they're a great source of vitamin E. It works along with vitamin C to reduce inflammation.
- Turkey. Zinc in this protein-packed food helps to protect your retina.
- Fish. Fatty fish like salmon, tuna, and herring have the omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA. They fight inflammation, and they can help relieve dry eyes.
- Carrots. Orange foods, like carrots, pumpkin, and sweet potatoes pack a lot of vitamin A. This powerful vitamin supports healthy tissues. It also helps prevent night blindness, a condition that makes it hard or impossible to focus in low light.
- Whole grains. Foods like quinoa and oatmeal have vitamin E, niacin, and zinc to support eye health.
- Blueberries. Blueberries may reduce your risk of cataracts and glaucoma.
- Chia seeds. They have high levels of antioxidants to protect eyes from damage caused by sunlight, cigarette smoke, and pollution.
You can give your eye health a boost with every meal. There are so many tasty foods that are good for you. Even better, doctors say eye health is often related to heart health. So with healthy and delicious food choices, you can know you're taking care of your whole body. Good health always looks good on you.