What are prescription sunglasses?
Prescription sunglasses are the sunglasses with a prescription lens as per your corrective eye prescription. So, in most simple words, sunglasses with power are known as prescription sunglasses.
Who may need prescription sunglasses?
Prescription sunglasses are usually needed if you have refractive errors in the eyes that need to be corrected with prescription glasses and there is an increased need to be out in the sun for a prolonged time. However, in general too, if you are using prescription glasses, you will not like to bother your eyes when spending time in the sun, even if the time of sun exposure is a brief one.
Prescription sunglasses: What are the advantages?
The two most important features of ideal prescription eyewear are practicality and usability. Prescription sunglasses combine the best of all worlds and help protect your eyes from the harmful radiation of the sun while allowing you to see clearly.
Here are some reasons why you might want to get yourselves a pair of prescription sunglasses:
- Protection against ultraviolet radiation: Both, UVA and UVB rays are known to cause damage to eyes, leading to conditions like cataracts, macular degeneration, etc. Prescription sunglasses protect your eyes from the damaging effects of the sun by blocking ~100% of the sun’s UV rays.
- Tough protection for the gentle skin: The skin surrounding the eyes is thin and sensitive, and is particularly vulnerable to UV damage. Sunglasses have extended benefits as they also provide UV protection to the delicate skin around your eyes. Regular sun coverage of this area prevents sunburn and premature aging of the skin around the eyes.
- Clear and sharp vision even under the sun: The prescription sunglasses are fitted with the corrective lens, so they are better to enable to address the specific vision correction needs, and henceforth enhance your vision optimally irrespective of your eye conditions including nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism or presbyopia.
- Combat the glare: A blinding glare can be generated when the horizontal rays of the sun bounce back from ground surfaces like beaches, water bodies, snow, car hoods, roadways, sidewalks, etc, straight into your eyes. In fact, some people can be more sensitive to glare than sun brightness. Prescription sunglasses empowers you to see clearly in every outside situation by banishing the glare.
- Better option to suit leisure activities: You can choose the specific material and style for your pair of prescription sunglasses, letting you enjoy your favorite outdoor sport or activity, or even sunbathing.
Can you place prescription lenses in any of your sunglasses?
Certainly. You can get your prescription lenses put into your favorite pair of sunglasses. It is, however, noteworthy to know that the frames must be of good quality and the lenses are placed correctly and adjusted accordingly.
Buying tips: Are you a first-time buyer?
Choosing the right prescription sunglasses not only helps you to see clearly but also to function effectively.
Here are the two most important tips you must follow:
- Revisiting your eye doctor for an updated eye exam: You may need some adjustments in your eye prescription like the pupillary distance may need to be adjusted to allow the correct positioning of the center of the lenses.
- Trying on the sample sunglasses: Do try the sunglasses to check for the optimal and desired coverage around the eyes. You will also need to ensure that these glasses suit your day-to-day formal meetings as well as look great on the outdoor activities.
Prescription sunglasses: Specific materials and treatments
Prescription sunglasses can be used for typically any lens prescription, including bifocal and progressive lens options. It is very important to select the right kind of lens materials for your pair of prescription sunglasses as it largely depends on the functional requirement. Choosing the appropriate lens material is equally important as realizing their benefits.
Match your eyewear needs with the following section and see what kind of lens may serve your purpose:
- If you are physically active and interested in playing outdoor sports: Polycarbonate lenses. These are impact-resistant lens material
- If your eyes are more sensitive to glare as compared to brightness: Polarized lenses are better suited to serve the need for neutralize glare for a more comfortable vision
- If you are looking for smarter lenses that darken or lighten automatically depending on the amount of sunlight you need to encounter: Photochromic lenses. These will need UV rays for activation of the change in the tint.
- If you are always in a haste and prone to drop your eyeglasses every now and then: Scratch-resistant lens. You may then need not worry about the scratches or breaches on your prescription eyewear during the frequent falls.
Frame styles: What you must pay attention to
While the prescription sunglasses are available in almost all kinds of frame styles, from cat-eye to round shape, from a square shape to hexagons, there is one tip that most experts in the field ask to keep in mind.
Prescription sunglasses made with extreme curvatures can typically distort vision. There is a chance that your prescription sunglasses would normally be set slightly curved. However, this may vary from person to person, as per the vision and functional requirements.
Get ready to use prescription sunglasses: The final words
You will definitely find prescription sunglasses as more convenient, pragmatic, and worth doing the additional investment. With regular use, the prescription sunglasses will become a comprehensive solution for all your vision-related requirements, including reading books at near distance, correcting your distance vision, or that additional boost for outings in the sun, without putting extra strain on the eyes.